You have brought home your small bundle of joy and now you must be surely thinking of how to take care of a new born baby. Taking care of this special gift in your life is a rewarding and happy experience of your entire life, but it is also a huge responsibility as you are required to provide your child with constant care and attention. For taking well care of your newborn you must know the basics to offer your baby sustenance, rest and timely care that he requires during his early months.
So, while everyone will teach you one or more ways on how to take care of a new born baby, below mentioned are some of the ways that you must definitely learn.
- Offer your newborn with ample rest – Newborns require lots of rest for healthy growth. Some may even rest for around 16 hours a day. Few babies are confused between day and nights when they are born, and hence, they prefer sleeping in the day time. In such case you have to be more patient till the time your baby develops a normal sleeping pattern.
- Breastfeeding is the best – While formula milk is always available, but it cannot meet the nutritional requirement of your child. You must hold your baby in the right direction and offer breastfeeding about 8 to 12 times a day, during the initial months.
- Time to become a diaper changing expert – Whether you opt for disposable diapers or for clothing nappies, make sure to keep your baby dry as otherwise he could develop rashes. During initial days, for around a month, you have to change the baby’s diapers around 10 times a day.
- Keep your baby away from infection – Newborns are sensitive and can catch infection very fast. You must always sanitize your hands before touching your baby and must offer him with a daily bath routine.
- Handle your baby gently – Another important aspect of how to take care of a new born baby is to hold and handle him gently. Always hold your baby in the right manner. Be gentle with him and soothe him if he is cranky. Don’t forget to give your baby his special ‘tummy time’ as it helps in strengthening his muscles, bones and arms and legs coordination.
If you care well for your baby and provide him with a healthy growth environment, then soon you will notice developmental changes within him and the first one being rolling over. Alike other parents, even you must be keen to know when do babies roll over? Babies learn to roll over once they have gain mastery in maintaining their head control, and hence, they feel comfortable flipping around from one position to the other. They initiate with roll over when they are at the age of 3 months. As they grow old and reach to an age of six months, their neck muscles and arm muscles gain strength, and they are then able to roll over from one side to other without facing any hassle.
Rolling over is one of the major developmental accomplishments for the baby, but you should be careful during this period as babies roll over without noticing things around. Also, the rolling pattern in babies may differ and may change overtime. Encouraging your babies and offering them with enough tummy time are some of the ways with which you can help your baby learn to roll over. Now that you have known about when do babies roll over, definitely you must also be interested to know when do babies crawl.
As soon as your tot becomes a master in rolling over, his next biggest achievement during his growing years is the art of learning to crawl. Crawling is your baby’s first step towards independence and most babies begin crawling at an age of 6 to 8 months. But there are few babies, who skip the crawling stage altogether and directly learn to walk. The other interesting fact about babies crawling is that babies have different crawling patterns, which may vary from rolling, bottom shuffle, commando style and more.
You can expect your baby to start crawling before his first birthday and you do not have to provide any additional assistance to your tot to make him learn to crawl. In most of the cases, babies learn to crawl naturally. But before learning to crawl your baby has to learn to sit unaided. Also, few babies learn to crawl backwards during initial days, which is completely a normal indication of your baby’s growth. To ensure that your baby learns to crawl at a right age, you may offer him with plenty of ‘tummy time’, moving toys and a safe environment.
The entire concept of when do babies crawl is very much interesting, and with every passing month, you will see your baby achieving another developmental milestone. All you have to do is to provide your baby with a healthy growth environment and nutritionist diet.